ESCO Affiliate & Sustainable Westchester Offering GridRewards, Gamified Demand Response Pilot
April 7, 2020 Email This Story Copyright 2010-20 EnergyChoiceMatters.com
Reporting by Paul Ring • email@example.com
The following story is brought free of charge to readers byEC Infosystems, the exclusive EDI provider of EnergyChoiceMatters.com
Sustainable Westchester has partnered with Logical Buildings to launch a GridRewards pilot campaign allowing eligible customers to receive cash rewards from participating in Con Edison’s demand response programs, while also digitally assisting participants to reduce their monthly energy bill
"GridRewards leverages new Con Edison smart meters as the data backbone for Logical Buildings’ gamified mobile app SmartKit AI, which encourages thousands of Westchester homeowners to perform simple energy efficiency activities in unison. Using GridRewards, individuals across the county can collectively contribute to a more reliable grid and provide grid relief when energy usage is peaking," Sustainable Westchester said
"GridRewards grants access to new energy savings opportunities for all Westchester residents and businesses, no matter how large or small. Homes, apartments, restaurants, retail centers, offices and other energy consumers are all invited to participate," Sustainable Westchester said
How GridRewards Works
• Participants can enroll online through the authorization and onboarding steps. Anyone with an eligible Con Edison account can be guided through digital prompts to learn more and sign up.
• Logical Buildings leverages the Green Button initiative to automatically and securely connect smart meter data to its AI driven app, SmartKit AI. Once authorization and onboarding are complete, users can immediately download the SmartKit AI app to get customized energy efficiency insights to help them understand and reduce their energy usage and carbon footprint.
• "In addition to lowering their monthly energy bill, users can also earn money by taking simple, digitally guided actions to reduce energy usage when Con Edison triggers a demand response event. When energy use is peaking on the grid, Con Edison will pay you cash to help lower that peak and save on investing in additional infrastructure," Sustainable Westchester said
• "GridRewards provides a powerful incentive for energy saving actions by sharing demand response revenues with the energy users who performed them. When a household’s energy saving action earns revenue, it is logged through SmartKit AI and paid out in the form of a check to the participant. Cash is distributed to participants before the end of the calendar year. While each participant is encouraged to reduce as much energy as possible during demand response events, there are no penalties for opting out of an event," Sustainable Westchester said
• "The ubiquity of smart thermostats makes performance easier than ever – raising cooling setpoints by four degrees for a handful of 1-6 hour periods in the summer can earn participants significant money — a payout of up to 15% of the total annual Con Edison electricity bill," Sustainable Westchester said
"GridRewards is providing our largest opportunity yet to show how real-time intelligence and a widespread, gamified app to reduce energy use through that intelligence can create real income for the people who opted into the program," said Logical Buildings CEO Jeff Hendler. “Especially with many families potentially using more energy while working from home and facing greater financial uncertainty, this is an important new way of making sure more people can share in the benefits of smart energy usage.”
The Logical Buildings SmartKit AI technology behind GridRewards is made possible through a secure software integration into Con Edison’s new Advanced Meter Infrastructure (AMI) in Westchester. Furthermore, on the back of the AMI rollout, Con Edison recently announced that the implementation of its new Demand Response Management System allowed the Company to lower its demand response participation threshold by 100x, from 1kW to 10W, effectively making it possible for anyone to earn money through the demand response programs, Sustainable Westchester said
Logical Buildings (formerly Energy Technology Savings, Inc. or ETS) is a smart building technology software developer, IoT and DER systems integrator, smart building services provider, and ESCO.