Texas PUC Staff Proposes That Benefits Under Electricity Relief Program Continue Through September 30
August 10, 2020 Email This Story Copyright 2010-20 EnergyChoiceMatters.com
Reporting by Paul Ring • firstname.lastname@example.org
The following story is brought free of charge to readers byEC Infosystems, the exclusive EDI provider of EnergyChoiceMatters.com
Staff of the Public Utility Commission of Texas have recommended that program benefits under the COVID-19 Electricity Relief Program end on September 30, 2020.
As previously reported, the ERP reimburses REPs at a rate of $0.04 per kWh for customers in the ERP, whom the REPs cannot disconnect for non-payment. Delivery charges are also not charged to the REPs for ERP customers
As previously reported, the PUC has adopted an order to extend the Electricity Relief Program (ERP) until August 31, 2020
In a memo, Staff said that the end of enrollment and the end of the benefits should be separate dates to allow all eligible customers a meaningful opportunity to benefit from the program
Accordingly, Staff recommended that enrollments end on August 31, and program benefits end on September 30, 2020.
Staff said that the following timeline would allow all eligible customers a minimum one month benefit from the Program.
• August 28, 2020 – final HHSC-based enrollment list sent to REPs
• August 31, 2020 – self-enrollment via Solix using unemployment benefits ends
• September 4, 2020 – final self-enrollment list provided to REPs
• September 30, 2020 – last day of disconnection protection, last invoice date eligible for financial assistance (including delivery charge suppression), last date for satisfactory credit deposit protection
• October 1, 2020 – disconnections for nonpayment may resume for Program enrollees to whom notice has been provided at least ten, but no more than 30, days in advance.
• November 30, 2020 – last day for a REP to request delivery charge suppression and reimbursement of energy charges (first business day after November 29, which is 90 days from the end of ERP enrollment).
• January 15, 2021 – final Program report due from each REP and TDU.